Saturday, July 2, 2016

A few thoughts on Cornersmith...

Cornersmith: Recipes from the cafe and pickleryCornersmith: Recipes from the cafe and picklery by Alex Elliott-Howery
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a recipe book from a local cafe and picklery. It is about using local food, and preserving bounty. There are stories of how the cafe and picklery came into being, with lots of local references as well as many recipes. This is another in the series of local studies recipe books which I have been reading. I have been to a couple of classes by Cornersmith and it has encouraged my sauerkraut making. I grew up making things to preserve the bounty of gardens or gifts of neighbours as it was, and is a family thing to do. One thing which comes through the book, as well, is that often taking a social approach to preserving bounty shares the work, as well as making it a collaboration.

This is an enjoyable book to read and I will be exploring making some of the recipes (when I can borrow it again from the library).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment